Frederick & Nelson



In 1949, Frederick & Nelson announced that its 5-story
building in downtown Seattle would be expanded by
the addition of 4 floors.
Several schemes were examined, but a restrained,
modern adaptation of the original building was
chosen as shown in this rendering.
Frederick & Nelson's remodeled facility soon took
its place as Seattle's Grande Dame retailer.

The sleek, luxurious interior of the expanded store
was elaborately decorated for the Christmas holiday
season, and was a favorite subject for photographers.

Another view of the store's iconic first floor,
embellished with Christmas decorations.

Topped with flags, the newly-remodeled store
first welcomed customers on Grand Opening Day,
August 7, 1952.

"A division of Marshall Field & Company since 1929"

Frederick & Nelson
Fifth at Pine
Seattle, Washington

Mutual 2-1540





Downstairs
Paul Bunyon Room
Frederick & Nelson Budget Floor

Street Floor
Fine Jewelry • Antique Jewelry • Costume Jewelry • Watches • Clocks • Our Wonderful World of Cosmetics • Umbrellas • Scarves • Hat Bar • Belts • Sweaters • Blouses • First Floor Sportswear • Gloves • Handbags • Hosiery • Sunglasses • Fendi Shop • Les Must de Cartier • Gucci Accessory Collection • Calculators • Stationery • Cameras • Luggage • Candy • Bakery • Smoke Shop • Party Place • Brushes • Adult Games • Notions • Cutlery
Store for Men Men’s Toiletries • Men’s Accessories • Men’s Furnishings • Northwest Answer Shop • Men’s Shoes • Sport Shirts • Men’s Shoes • Men’s Hats • Men’s Outerwear • Men’s Clothing • Men’s Raincoats • Today’s Casuals • Men’s Sportswear • Casual Pants

Second Floor
The Shoe Salon • The Shop for Pappagallo • Aigner • Fashion Classics Shoes • Leisure Square Shoes • Lingerie • Lounging Apparel • Foundations • Junior Lingerie and Robes • Young Seattle Sportswear • Young Seattle Coats • Young Seattle Shoes • House and Town Shop • Misses Casual Sportswear • Misses Casual Dresses • Frenelle Coats and Suits • Frenelle Dresses • Frenelle Millinery • K.P. Corner (uniforms)

Third Floor
The Designer Room • Designer Boutique • YSL/Rive Gauche Boutique • Designer Sportswear • Designer Dresses • Designer Millinery Salon • Evening Shop • Late Day Separates • Bridal Bureau • Tip-to-Toe Service • Fur Salon • Resort Shop • Sunningdale Shop • Coats and Suits • Mrs. Fredson  Shop • Sportswear • Active Sportswear • Contempo • Focus Sportswear • Focus Dresses • Maternity Apparel

Fourth Floor
Youth Floor Prep Shop • Infant’s Shop • Toddler’s Shop • Pre-school Shop • Schoolgirls Shop • 1318 Shop • High School Shop • Girl’s Accessories • Girl’s Lingerie • Schoolboy’s Shop • Prep Shop • Student Shop • Young People’s Shoes • Children’s Accessories • Children’s Sleepwear • Children’s Furniture • Children’s Hair Styling
Hobby Shop • Toys • Luggage • Portrait Salon • Books • Kennel Shop • Ask Mr. Foster Travel Service

Fifth Floor
Beauty Salon • China • Artwares • Porcelain Art Gallery • Glassware • The Steuben Room • The Continental Crystal Room • Gifts • Bar Accessories • The Williamsburg Shop • Bridal Registry • Repair Service Desk • Pictures • Fine Paintings • Lamps • Mirrors • Artificial Flowers • The Pewter Shop • Silver • Silver Hollowware • Flatware

Sixth Floor
Floor Coverings • Oriental Rugs • Linens • Bedding • Closet Shop • Bath Shop • Curtains and Draperies • Bedroom Ensemble Shop • Fashion Fabrics • Sewing Machines • Art Needlework

Seventh Floor
Televisions • Radio and Sound Equipment • Furniture • Slumber Shop • Studio of Interior Design • Traditional Gallery • Home Planning Bureau • The Old World Shop • Wareroom • Decor Shop

Eighth Floor
Housewares • Gourmet Galley • Small Appliances • Major Appliances • Hardware • Paints and Wallpaper • The Garden Shop • The Delicacy Shop • The Feature Shop • The Little Gallery • The Exhibition Hall • Tearoom • Men’s Grill • Continental Buffet

Ninth Floor
Cashiers • Credit Office • Lobby
(746,000 sq. ft.)




Bellevue Square
August 1946/August 1956
158,000 s.f.
The Rhododendron Room

Aurora Village
July, 1963
150,000 s.f.
The Azalea Room

Southcenter
Tukwila, Washington
July, 1968
175,000 s.f.
The Garden Room






Coming in due course.






34 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a Frederick & Nelson doorman statue. Do you know of any that may be available?
    Thanks
    karlj@cablespeed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the white F&N Teddy bear with it's baby for sale.

    contact wmarie1@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Fredrick & Nelson Fur Vest that is in excellent shape it has gold satin lining Fur looks like alpaca but not sure it is white long curly with black variations can anybody tell me what it is worth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget...F&N was the home of FRANGO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. barbiel@jackmatthewsoldandrarebooks.com23 March, 2012 11:44

    I have a book on Seattle with a tipped in calling card with the embossed script of Frederick & Nelson on the front fold. Inside the gift message is signed 'Uncle Fred'. The date is Nov.1, 1968. Any comments on their possible identity would be appreciated, especially, I would like to know if there was an owner or CEO or anyone associated with the store known as 'Uncle Fred.'
    Thank-you,
    Barbiel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking for the recipe for the legendary F&N Rainbow Cake (multicolored thin layer cake with white (cream cheese?) frosting -- looked plain white on the outside, but when cut, produced a rainbow of sweet pastel layers... Can anyone help me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the 3 wise men that was purchased from Frederick and Nelson years and years ago at Christmas time. Is there anyone who would be interested in purchasing them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anyone have the receipe for the Chocolate Torte Cake that Frederick and Nelson use to make? Did any bakery buy the receipe and is any bakery still making it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad & uncles where raised around f&n and when they closed my dad bought 2 of there box vans. I can remember when we went to pick them up there was a hat on the dash bord that I would wear as a kid when I went to work with him, he would have me ride the elevater up and down with tools trash and what not. come to find out years latter it was because I loved that hat and it was a elevator bellmans hat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the person with the 3 wisemen I can send pictures, they stand approx 24 inches and are really pretty cool. You can reach me at
    bnmyoung87@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Louis Carrion28 June, 2012 11:21

    I have a painting, lithograph created or framed custom by the New York Graphics Society for Frederick and Nelsons. Do you know af anyone that would be interested in purchasing this for its historical value. I am not sure where it was hanging at in the store. It is Rembrandt Portrait of a girl in the window. I am not sure of its regular or its historical value.
    Contact me at louiscarrion@hotmail.com with any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a divisional merchandise manager during the rocky 1985-1986 era and fired when the locals took over the chain from Batus. All I can say is they terminated alot of good folks and I was not surprised when they subsequently failed. Too much ego, not enough good solid merchandising and cash flow management.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anyone have the toy F & N delivery van? Hude

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a F&N green hat box with green and white cord handle circa 1960 for sale in great condition. My Mom wouldn't buy her hats anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any luck with the rainbow cake recipe? I have been hunting it too to no avail ... Kateagnew@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just saw a F&N promotional film from the '50s on the Seattle Channel and was reminded--yet again--what a tremendous store it was and how Seattle lost big time when it closed. Totally classy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anyone know if a source of some of the tea room recipes exists?

    ReplyDelete
  18. well to the person looking for chocolate torte cake reciepe. i worked at l'express on bottom floor and we ordered r cakes out. i dont where they came from but we'd get'm almost frozen.they wer the bomb! i still have my last pay stub, id badge, apron and a picture with my oldest on & i with f&n santa. soon to post on ann wendell's website. im looking for 100 year f&n book that was being sold at/around 1992. if any old f&n employees see this & remember me "celeste" the hostess with mostess....femaleplus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have searched for years for anyone who might know anything regarding the candy & nut counter and supply. When I was a young kid in the mid 40's-50's, my next door neighbor purchased what I am sure were pecans with some kind of a very light soft (not crunchy) glaze on them. She died in 1957 and I never did find out how or where they were actually made. She kept them in her cupboard in an open dish, and when I would go visit her she nearly always gave me some of what were really unique tasting pecans. Does anybody out there remember? I'm @ bill_rr4u@me.com, and I would deeply appreciate any information relating to these. I know that the nut counter carried quite a selection of many unique nut options, including the ability to purchase individual premium, nut types (like cashews, Brazilian, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.). Would love to taste these once again before I'm outta here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. D.J.R. @djrhardlr@gmail.com

    I don't remember the rainbow cake, sounds interesting and when I find a bit of extra time I shall try making one. Anyone who has an idea of how it was created, I would like your input. Were the layers different flavors or just different colors?
    Also I have two large chandeliers (aprox 4.5'x4.5') 100% complete, from I believe the 1951-52 remodel. Let me know if you may know of someone with a space large enough to use these unique pieces of history. Pic's may be emailed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Was hoping someone knows what happened to the exterior signs that proudly displayed the store's name? I feel like they are sitting around in someones garage! Help me out! I would love to purchase one... Or at least know what happened to them when the store closed. Thanks.
    joejoeb36 @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, I sure do remember FRANGO chocolate, so much so that it prompted me to sign up at South Seattle CC couple years ago to learn how to make chocolate truffles from chocolatier Bill Fredericks. (great teacher)
    Fast forward - I am just about there! I can make all the flavors that I recall enjoying.
    PS: don't forget FRANGO ice cream!! My favorite was maple, made with real maple syrup and mostly cream, not too sweet. Gosh. Mom took me to lunch in the Tearoom and bought me a dish of this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. looking for a book that was a promotional for Fredericks. it is called sandy the sandman and would have gone out in the mid to late sixties.it appeared to be stop caption pictures of dolls and background for children.....anyone..pleazzzz

    ReplyDelete
  24. My first job was at F&N Downtown Seattle. I loved it! I started out during the big Fall sale in September 1980 as a floater and worked in many departments including the Steuben Room and the Hermes Gallery. I spent a lot of time on the 5th floor in silver, china and crystal. But then I got a semi permanent position in the basement in stationary right after they made the basement over into the very trendy Arcade. Then I was snatched up for a temp job in Advertising. There I did find a permanent position.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great collection of Frederick & Nelson images - thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. F&N in Seattle brings back fabulous memories for me during the fifties and sixties. What an awesome store-too bad they don't exist today!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a green Frederick & Nelson hatbox and I'm downsizing in case anyone is interested. If so, please contact me at nadine.larsson@gmail.com.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I used to work in their display department in the '60's. LOVED the store - what class. Beyond belief of today's consumer. Too bad. Does any one have any pictures of the Christmas Uncle Mistletoe or Aunt Holly character dolls? They were always used at Christmas as Frederick's theme. Let me know. Mike Stribling ( Contact nago@earthlink.net )

    ReplyDelete
  29. this store was owned by marshall fields along with the cresent in Spokane and halle's in Cleveland ohio............................................

    ReplyDelete
  30. The store was owned by Marshall Fields, but F&N always kept its own brand identity.

    I still remember going to downtown Seattle as a kid with my parents and seeing the huge building with the giant star on the side. It was always a big event, especially at Christmas. We would spend the day looking at stuff, buying a few things and maybe buy some candy at the eatery. It was such a sad day when the store closed.

    BTW, Fredrick & Nelson Frangos are still around. Macy's sells them, but only out of their Pacific northwest stores. The ones sold online and in other stores are from Marshall Fields and are different.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Christmas at F&N always brought a wonderful fragrance to the store. It was a symbol of Christmas to me....does anyone know the name of it? it was only used at Christmas.
    Kobun37 I believe the building with the star running down the corner was the Bon Marche.
    Could be wrong though. Contact me at linnet98@hotmail.com) if you know the name please!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Here is a weird question: The Paul Bunyon room used to have the best tuna sandwich, with a flavor I have not been able to reproduce. Does anyone know where i can get the reciepe? I have tried everything to reproduce it but no luck. I had another tuna sand at another restaurant a couple of years ago with the same taste but they would not tell me what it was.
    Thanks
    Robert
    rcronin60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Christmas Fragrance - to the person who tried to contact me, sorry it went to junk mail and I lost it.........no I have not found the fragrance yet. Still looking, linnet98@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. My daughter was in a video baby contest at Fredericks and Nelson at the Tacoma Mall store in 1985 and I would very much like to find out if they saved the video. Any idea's how I could find out? please email me at crazyfraase@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments