H. C. Prange Co., Sheboygan, Wisconsin



The H.C. Prange Co. Store at the corner of 8th and
Wisconsin avenue in central Sheboygan

The H. C. Prange Co.
727 W. 8th Street
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

SHEBOYGAN STORE DIRECTORY

Downstairs Store
Drugs • Housewares • Innovations for the Home • Sporting Goods • Toys • Camera Shop • Records • Paint • Home Fix-it Shop
Prange's Budget Store

Street Floor
Fine Jewelry • Pendulum Shop • Fashion Jewelry • Handbags • Gloves • Small Leather Goods • Neckwear • Handkerchiefs • Hosiery • Cosmetics • Toiletries • Hat Bar • Blouse Bar • Street Floor Sportswear • Casual Corner • Street Floor Lingerie • Studio III • Shoe Salon • Children's Shoes • Notions • Contemporary Novelties • Sundries • Stationery • Candle Shop • Office Machines • Candy • Men's Dress Shirts and Ties • Men's Furnishings • Men's Gifts • Male Scents •  Men's Sportswear • 505 Shop • Men's Clothing • Young Man's Shop • Boys' Wear • Men's Fashion Footwear • Prange's Grocery
Wisconsin Avenue Annex Garden Shop
Appliance Annex Appliances • Small Appliances • Televisons • Radios • Stereos


Mezzanine
Soda Fountain


Second Floor
Terrace Room Restaurant • Sportswear • Moderate Price Dresses • Women's World • Daytime Dresses • Uniforms • Town Shop • Colony Shop • Cosmopolitan Shop • Better Dresses • Better Sportswear • Studio 7 • After-Five Shop • Crystal Room • Coats • Better Coats • Suede and Leather Shop • Four Seasons • Fur Salon • Bridal Salon • Millinery • Wig Boutique • Hat Bar • Foundations • Daywear • At-Home Shop • Sleepwear
Junior Colony Junior Sportswear • Junior Dresses • Junior Coats • Young Juniors
Children's World Infants' and Toddlers'• Girls' Accessories • Girls' Wear • Twixt-Teen Shop • Teen Shop • 3-7 Boys' • Juvenile Furniture


Third Floor
Domestics • Linens • Bedding • Fiedcrest Shop • Bath Shop • Pillow Talk • China • Silverware • Glassware • Gifts • Bar & Wine Shop • Contempo • Lamps • Pictures and Mirrors • Decorative Accessories • Luggage • Drapery Shop • Carpeting • Area and Scatter Rugs • Fashion Fabrics • Needlecraft


Fourth Floor
Furniture Galleries • Interior Decorating Studio • Young America Shop • Good Design for Good Living • Books • Adult Games • Beauty Salon • Rogers Crocker Photographic Studio • Personnel Office • Credit Office • Cash Office • Executive Offices

Service Center (North 18th St. at Martin Avenue)
Garden Shop • Appliances • Televisons • Radios • Stereos • Furniture •  Sleep Shop



GREEN BAY

The H.C. Prange Co. Store in Green Bay consisted of
an original building and several additions

H. C. Prange Co. (1927/1966)
301 North Washington Street
Green Bay, Wisconsin


APPLETON

Prange's purchased Appleton's Pettibone-Peabody Co.
in 1946 and expanded the store to six floors in 1961

H. C. Prange Co. (1946)
126 West College Avenue
Appleton, Wisconsin

APPLETON STORE DIRECTORY

Basement
Drugs • Housewares • Innovations for the Home • Sporting Goods • Toys • Camera Shop • Records • Paint • Home Fix-it Shop • Garden Shop
Prange's Budget Store

Street Floor
Fine Jewelry • Pendulum Shop • Fashion Jewelry • Handbags • Gloves • Small Leather Goods • Neckwear • Handkerchiefs • Hosiery • Cosmetics • Toiletries • Hat Bar • Blouse Bar • Street Floor Lingerie • Studio III • Notions • Contemporary Novelties • Sundries • Stationery • Candle Shop • Office Machines • Candy • Men's Dress Shirts and Ties • Men's Furnishings • Men's Gifts • Male Scents • Men's Sportswear • 505 Shop • Men's Clothing • Young Man's Shop • Men's Fashion Footwear
Appleton Street The Midway Restaurant
Appleton and Washington The Hutch • Fashion-Aire Beauty Salon

Second Floor
Sportswear • Moderate Price Dresses • Women's World • Daytime Dresses • Uniforms • Town Shop • Colony Shop • Cosmopolitan Shop • Better Dresses • Better Sportswear • Studio 7 • After-Five Shop • Crystal Room • Coats • Better Coats • Suede and Leather Shop • Four Seasons • Fur Salon • Bridal Salon • Millinery • Wig Boutique • Hat Bar • Foundations • Daywear • At-Home Shop • Sleepwear

Third Floor
Shoe Salon
Junior Colony Junior Sportswear • Junior Dresses • Junior Coats • Young Juniors
Children's World Infants' and Toddlers'• Girls' Accessories • Girls' Wear • Twixt-Teen Shop • Teen Shop • 3-7 Boys' • Boys' Wear • Juvenile Furniture • Children's Shoes

Fourth Floor
Domestics • Linens • Bedding • Fiedcrest Shop • Bath Shop • Pillow Talk • China • Silverware • Glassware • Gifts • Bar & Wine Shop • Contempo • Decorative Accessories • Luggage • Area and Scatter Rugs • Fashion Fabrics • Needlecraft

Fifth Floor
Furniture Galleries • Interior Decorating Studio • Young America Shop • Good Design for Good Living • Drapery Shop • Carpeting • Lamps • Pictures and Mirrors

Sixth Floor
Appliances • Televisons • Radios • Stereos • Books • Adult Games • Personnel Office • Cresit Office • Cash Office




BRANCH STORES (through 1980)

Sturgeon Bay (1930)











Fond du Lac (1966)









Wausau (1968)
Downtown

Oshkosh (1970)
Park Plaza

West Towne Mall (1970)
Madison
140,000 s. f.







Eau Clair (1971)
London Square

East Towne Mall (1971)
Madison

The Mall at Cherryvale (1973)
Rockford, IL
(129,000 sq. ft.)


Marquette, MI (1974)
Westwood Mall

Traverse City, MI (1976)
Cherryland

Wisconsin Rapids (1978)
Rapids Mall

Marinette (1978)
Pine Tree mall

Manitowoc (1979)
Edgewater Plaza

Marshfield (1979)
Northway Mall

Superior (1980)
Mariner Mall





33 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of the stores that I grew up with (Having lived in Sturgeon Bay, Marquette, MI, and Manitowoc). When I moved to Manitowoc in 1996, they were just closing (and may have been converted to a Prange Way store prior).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Sheboygan. I will never forget my Mother and I going shopping, that was the best store I have ever been to. I will always remember the wonderful Christmas Displays in the windows for little childrento enjoy. Those were the days.....:-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absoluteley!! Mine was with my Mom in Green Bay store. Awesome Christmas window decorations. And "Bruce The Spruce" talking Christmas tree. Sigh.... Want those times back. Balanced with making some new awesome memories to be. : , )

      Delete
    2. Loved the Carmel corn made in the big copper kettle near the back door!

      Delete
  4. I worked at the Sheboygan Prange store and warehouse 1971 to '72 after high school. It was more than just a store to me. All the wonderful people I worked with in many of the depts. The folks that came to shop. The lonesome retired people that made it to that store almost every day. And, of course, Christmas time! Prange's was a hub for great variety of people of all ages. Unique....even in it's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked in the Green Bay store for several years back in the late 70's and remember it being the center piece of downtown Green Bay, Wisconsin and Washington street. Holzer's drugs was across the street with the best pies in town and it seemed most of the business executives in the area met there for every morning for coffee to start their days. Man, what a time! When Washing street ruled the day and Prange's animated Christmas displays where eagerly awaited each year. People would line up outside just to watch them. Some good times for me back then and a unique time that I was glad to be apart of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot to mention Bruce the Spruce talking Christmas tree. My mom worked there durring that same time frame. Mary Naniot. Thanks for sparking some memories!!

      Delete
    2. Also thanks for mentioning the name Holzers. Does sound vaguely familiar. My Mom always just called it the corner drug store. : , )

      Delete
  6. I remember shopping at the Prange's at Southridge Mall back in the early 90s. Younker's eventually replaced it and I worked there. I remember seeing the Prange's charge card as an option to pay on the register.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the sheboygan store Christmas decorations. I did here they did save the Christmas display and they I have it at the sheboygan museum. Also then watching it burn down then they rebuild the store as a 1 story building. Then after many years it was renamed Yonkers then a few years later it changed to a Boston store. A few years later the store closed. Now they have torn it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store first partially collapsed due to water main break and it was not possible to repair the damage. As it stood empty the building caught fire and was completely destroyed. There was a local gentleman that always showed up at fires to watch them and the rumor was that he actually started the blaze. I believe he went missing and was never seen again after the fire

      Delete
  8. Hello my mother left me a vanity made by h.c. prange and im not sure where to take it and have someone be able to look at it and tell me anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in Los Angeles but would visit my grandparents, the Hotz's, in Sheboygan, a few times during the summer. I still have a commemorative Prange's plate and remember buying a light pink lipstick there when I was 13. This is back in the 60's. Grand memories. Dena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to have the recipes from the bakery! Have tried several times to do the sour cream muffins, or cream filled coffee cake and nothing even comes close!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to have the recipes from the bakery for sour cream muffins and cream filled coffee cake. Have tried to figure them out and nothing even comes close. I remember driving back to my grandmothers house every year from Minnesota and bringing back boxes of these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the Chicken Dumpling Soup from the small restaurant on the first level of the Sheboygan store. I cannot find a recipe for that but would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up on a farm in Sheboygan county.over 50 years ago It was such a big deal and treat when we took the time to go to Prange's. We got to go about 4-6 times a year. August for new school cloths, for my Christmas dress , at Easter for Easter cloths and then for my birthday. Funny to think back then driving 30 minutes to the store was special. My fondest memories are of the bakery, and then riding the escalator and elevator in the store and the Christmas windows Us farmer kids were easily amused. It was a sad day when the Prange's store burned in Sheboygan In my opinion even though the new store was nice and modern it took away the "homey/welcoming feeling the old store had. We always brought a cream filled coffee cake when we would go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily from Merrill30 December, 2016 08:18

    "It's Not Yours Till You Like It: H.C. Prange, A Sheboygan Institution" is a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember H.C. Prange's at the West Towne Mall in Madison. One story my family loves to share is one time when we were very young, my younger sister who was about 4 or 5 at the time (around 1969 or 1970), must have been trying to check out the mannequins at one of the entrance displays and suddenly all the mannequins came crashing to the floor. I think that Prange's eventually became a Younkers (correct me if I'm wrong) and is now a Boston Store. Fond memories of H.C. Prange's while shopping at West Towne when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Mom (Corrine Brasser) worked in the original Sheboygan store in the 50s and 60s, first in grocery and candy counter, later in accounting. She was allowed to take home leftover caramel corn on Friday nights, sang in the employee choir at Christmas (sacred and secular songs on main floor), and bought me shoes after I'd stood on the big x-ray machine for 30 seconds or so looking at my toes through my shoes! (My feet are still intact.) Christmas decorations were the best (as others have mentioned) - many automated figures, viewed with my grandpa the day after Thanksgiving I believe. Had Prange-family friends later at North High.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sheboygan's Prange's address was 727 N. 8th Street, not W. 8th Street.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's Thanksgiving week 2017. I sit here and ponder Thanksgiving's from my past and one of my greatest memories is after we had our Thanksgiving feast, we would pile in our cars and drive to Appleton to see the displays in the Pranges windows. I sure do miss those displays.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember the Wausau store's Christmas windows, which my parents and I would go to check out in the early 1970s. The building is still standing, but now it's filled with several white collar businesses. I miss both Prange's and Prangeway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does anyone remember the Trimmers beauty salon located in the Prange's department store in Wausau in the seventies? If so, can anyone tell what kind of shampoo was used and sold in the salon? It was pink in color and in a brownish bottle? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a salon in Wisconsin Rapids also and I was trying to remember the name of the shampoo also. What I remember is the great way my hair felt after using and the awesome fragrance!

      Delete
  21. Wow: Pranges Store downtown Green Bay. That was me late 1970's I was a kid about 10. I grew up with my grandparents and my grandmother would take me to the top floor of Pranges to their terrace restaurant and on weekend we would have wonderful sandwiches for lunch or a great breakfast, during the week however they had a full on dinner served in courses it was awesome then my grandmother would go try on 100 outfits and nothing ever seemed to fit her so we would likely go back to next week and repeat the whole thing, great memories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please bring the Prange stores back, there must be some Prange children left in Sheboygan to start over again and make the building like the original one it is so missed

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a Mansfield movie projector in it’s original Prange, Green Bay box. Is there a museum or place in Green Bay I could donate this to?

    ReplyDelete
  24. You might want to contact the Neville Public Museum of Brown County (which, it just so happens, is located directly across the Fox River from the old downtown Green Bay Prange's). They do an exhibit about the old Prange's Christmas window display every year. And if they don't want it they may know another institution that does.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is there a picture of Bruce the Spruce, the variety that had eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check the Sheboygan County Historical museum website - Bruce now lives there. There is also a book about Prange's available through the Sheb Cty Historical research center.

      Delete

Comments - Please do not comment more than once. Your comment must be approved before it is posted.