The Robert Simpson Company, Ltd.


The older part of the Simpson store fronts on Yonge,
Richmond, and Queen Streets.

In 1929, the store expanded into a 9-story Moderne
addition on the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets.

Simpson's, extending from
Yonge Street to Bay Street
along Richmond Street,
focusing on the 1929 addition.


The Arcadian Court was a feature of the 1929 building
and is one of the most famous deaprtment store
restaurants in all of the world.

"You'll enjoy shopping at Simpsons"


The Robert Simpson Company, Ltd.
Yonge Street at Queen
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Subway Level
Power Tools 692 • Hardware 690 • Garden Shop • Paints 685 • Builder’s Supplies • Auto Accessories • Market Square • Coffee Shop • Rainbow Room
Simpsons Budget Floor

Street Floor
Jewellery 227 • Silver 228 • Cosmetics 204 • Drugs and Vitamins • Scarves 224 • Gloves 230 • Street Floor Blouses 224 • Handbags 225 • Small Leather Goods 225 • Hosiery 229 • Street Floor Lingerie 206 • Wig Bar 204 • Stationery 203 • Personalized Stationery 444 • Notions 202 • Plant Patio 520 • Idea Shop • Arcadian Court Counter • Bakery Centre
Store for Men Men’s Furnishings 251 • Men’s Shoes 285 • West End Shop • Smoke Shop 524 • Men’s Sportswear 260 • Men’s Clothing 266 • Men’s Tailored-To-Measure Shop 264

Second Floor
Fabric Centre 365 • Yarns 368 • Sewing Machines 371 • Luggage 436 • Children’s Wear 335 • Children’s Shoes • Lingerie 325 • Sleepwear 326 • Women’s Shoes 276 • Portrait Studio • Simpsons Travel Service • Store for Young Men 269 • Threadmill 278 • Stage II 268

Third Floor
Sportswear 304 • Dresses 307 • Coats and Suits • ‘The Room’ 308 • The Velvet Turtle • ‘The Room’ Bridal Salon • St. Regis Dresses 305 • St. Regis Coats ans Suits 305 • St. Regis Sportswear 305 • Millinery 312 • Wiggery • Elevation 3 302 • Direction Shop • Bride’s Counsel • Fur Salon 311

Fourth Floor
Linens and Beddings 351 • Curtains and Draperies 385 • Pictures and Mirrors • Broadloom Bazaar 376 • Rugs 376 • Toytown 470 • Sporting Goods 469 • Credit Office • Customer Service

Fifth Floor
Furniture • Rooms • Mattresses • Avon Galleries • Old Colony Corner • Interior Decorating Service • Music Centre 398

Sixth Floor
China 445 • Rosenthal Studio • Wedgwood Room • Bride’s Gift Registry • Glassware 445 • Treasure House Antiques • Gifts • All-Canadian Shop • Housewares 426 • Gourmet Kitchen • Appliances 430 • Small Appliances 424 • Vacuums 371 • Lamps 439 • Television Radio 395 • Elizabeth Arden Salon • Gift Wrapping • Optical and Hearing Aids

Seventh Floor
Auditorium • Photo Finishing Kiosk

Eighth Floor

Arcadian Court • Panorama Room

Ninth Floor
Mezzanine Grill

31 Richmond Street West (Parkade)
Flower Shop • Dry Cleaning Service



Lower Street Floor
Power Tools 156 • Hardware 690 • Garden Shop 156 • Paints 156 • Doors and Windows 162 • Auto Accessories 193 • Toytown 158
Simpsons Budget Floor

Street Floor
Jewellery 103 • Silver 228 • Cosmetics 101 • Drugs and Vitamins 101 • Scarves 107 • Gloves 107 • Street Floor Blouses 224 • Handbags 102 • Small Leather Goods 102 • Hosiery 107 • Wig Bar 204 • Stationery 185 • Personalized Stationery 185 • Plant Patio 520 • Idea Shop • Candies
Store for Men Men’s Furnishings 113 • Men’s Shoes 122 • West End Shop • Smoke Shop 524 • Men’s Sportswear 260


Second Floor
Luggage 160 • Notions 185 • Children’s Wear 144 • Girls' Shop 148 • Boys' Shop 145 • Children’s Shoes 121 • Women’s Shoes 121 • Sports World 158 • Trim-a-Home Shop
Store for Men Men’s Clothing 112 • Men’s Tailored-To-Measure Shop 264 • Store for Young Men 115 • Threadmill 278 • Stage II 268


Third Floor
Sportswear 136 • Dresses 134 • Coats and Suits 131 • ‘The Room’ 133 • ‘The Room’ Bridal Salon • St. Regis Dresses 135 • St. Regis Coats and Suits 135 • St. Regis Sportswear 135 • Millinery 130 • Wiggery 130 • Elevation 3 143 • Direction Shop • Bride’s Counsel • Fur Salon 140 • Lingerie 325 • Sleepwear 326

Fourth Floor
Fabric Centre 127 • Yarns and Art Goods 127 • Sewing Machines 120 • Linens and Beddings 151 • Curtains and Draperies 153 • Pictures and Mirrors 143 • Credit Office • Customer Service • China 157 • Bride’s Gift Registry • Glassware 157 • Treasure House Antiques 169 • Gifts • All-Canadian Shop • Housewares 155 • Gourmet Kitchen • Small Appliances 197 • Vacuums 371 • Lamps 154 • Elizabeth Arden Salon

Fifth Floor
Furniture 195 • Rooms • Mattresses • Avon Galleries • Interior Decorating Service • Television Radio 198 • Music Centre 198 • Floor Coverings 150 • Appliances 197

Sixth Floor
The Arcadian Room • Coffee Shop • Arcadian Counter • Bakery Centre




Lower Level


Street Floor


Second Floor


Third Floor


Fourth Floor


Fifth Floor


Queen Street Level
Power Tools 156 • Hardware 690 • Garden Shop 156 • Paints 156 • Doors and Windows 162 • Auto Accessories 193 • Toytown 158 • Television Radio 47 • Music Centre 47 • Appliances 48 • Lamps 154 • Luggage 14 • Stationery 11 • Personalized Stationery 11 • Plant Patio 520 • Idea Shop • Candies • Sports World 158 • Trim-a-Home Shop


Sparks Street Level
Jewellery 103 • Cosmetics 19 • Drugs and Vitamins 19 • Scarves 107 • Gloves 107 • Street Floor Blouses 34 • Handbags 41 • Small Leather Goods 41 • Hosiery 43 • Wig Bar 38 • Notions 185
Store for Men Men’s Furnishings 22 • Men’s Shoes 25 • West End Shop • Smoke Shop 524 • Men’s Sportswear 23 • Men’s Clothing 23 • Men’s Tailored-To-Measure Shop 264 • Store for Young Men 115 • Threadmill 278 • Stage II 268

Mezzanine
Gift Wrapping • Credit Office • Customer Service

Second Floor
Sportswear 34 • Dresses 33 • Coats and Suits 31 • ‘The Room’ 33 • ‘The Room’ Bridal Salon • Direction Shop • Bride’s Counsel • Fur Salon 40 • Beauty Salon

Third Floor
Elevation 3 35 • Lingerie 325 • Sleepwear 326 • Children’s Wear 144 • Girls' Shop 148 • Boys' Shop 145 • Children’s Shoes 121 • Lingerie 142 • Sleepwear 141 • Millinery 130 • Wiggery 130 • Women’s Shoes 121


Fourth Floor
Fabric Centre 127 • Yarns and Art Goods 127 • Sewing Machines 120 • Linens and Beddings 151 • Curtains and Draperies 153 • Pictures and Mirrors 143 • Silver 228 • China 157 • Bride’s Gift Registry • Glassware 157 • Treasure House Antiques 169 • Gifts • All-Canadian Shop

Fifth Floor
Furniture 195 • Rooms • Mattresses • Avon Galleries • Interior Decorating Service • Housewares 155 • Gourmet Kitchen • Small Appliances 197 • Vacuums 371 • The Rideau Room


London
149 Dundas Street
December, 1944 (+1953/1961/1969)
209,000 s.f.
The Arcadian Room
Coffee Shop


Regina
11th St at Howard
December, 1946 (+1951)
Luncheonette
Cedarbrae
Lawrence E. and Markham
August, 1962
The Arcadian Room



Yorkdale
The Freeway and Dufferin
fenruary, 1964
300,000 s.f.
The Court Room


Brampton Shoppers' World
1969
151,000 s.f.


Fairview
Don Mills Road and Sheppard
August, 1970
150,000 s.f.
The Arcadian Room

Sherway
Queen Elizabeth Way and Highway 27
February, 1971
223,000 s.f.
The Restaurant on the Court
Ottawa
118 Sparks Street
July, 1971
The Rideau Room

Scarborough Town Centre
1973
169.000 sq. ft.



Coming in due course.


39 comments:

  1. Simpsons Yorkdale now The Bay is one of my favorite stores. I believe its ugly really but in a charming way that reminds me of my youth in the USA and feels like department stores felt back then being their own self contained world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Toronto Downtown Yonge and Queen store is still standing and is now a Bay Department Store. It still retains the historical character of Simpson's and on my most recent shopping trip a couple years back (2006), it was like going into a living museum. I had purchased two shirts and a pair of jeans and consider these items I bought museum artifacts that I treasure. If you want to see how a historic department store is like, go to the Toronto downtown Bay (the former Simpson's) next to the Eaton Centre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't count on The Bay, Queen Street, as being archaic any longer. It's undergoing renovations that are making it world-class stunning: http://retail-details.blogspot.com/2011/01/hudsons-bay-company-revitalization.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in Toronto and it was great going to Yorkdale and shopping at both the Eaton's & Simpson's department stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two Simpson's Department store Christmas Carol song sheets. You were able to sing carols in the morning at 8:40am to 9:00am December 18 to December 24 (except on Sunday) on the Street level of the store in Toronto. I don't know what to do with them. I can't take myself to throwing them out. Why I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Halifax, NS where there were both Simpson's and Eaton's dept stores, in both Halifax and Dartmouth. I remember the Santas in each store. I miss these two fine Canadian companies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allan Horgan09 May, 2011 14:15

    I worked in Simpsons advertising department (main store - Queen & Yonge) from 1976 to 1984. I have very fond memories of the time I was employed there. Occasionally I search around on the internet looking for Simpsons history etc (there is not much) and I stumbled upon this site. I would be interested in finding out about some of the people I worked with in the advertising department. Anyone who is browsing this site and worked at Simpsons during the late 70's/early 80's leave a comment here... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked in the Robert Simpson's Flowershop on Richmond Street across from the main store (at Queen & Yonge). The flowershop was located beside the parking garage. I have many wonderful memories of the Simpson's store, as I spent many of my lunch hours browsing the various departments. Although the flowershop was privately owned then ( I worked there 1980 to 1984) I feel very connectedt o the Robert Simpson Co.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a HOOSIER kitchen cabinet. It still has the brass plate saying it was from the Robert Simpson Co. Toronto. It probably dates back to the 1920's and still looks great. But sorry to say I have to sell it. What a shame I have loved it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a piece of furniture that is very old and unique. It is a dresser with a swivel mirror, three drawers and on wooden castors. There is a paper stamp on the back that says,
    "The Robert SIMPSON Western Limited
    Regina
    Transfer No. 6565 ( i think, number written in pencil and is very faded)
    P?? 8300 ( i think, number in pencil & very faded, may even have another number ahead of it)
    ???-36-Cax.23."
    There are also three stamps on the back that say
    "591"
    Has a different shaped mirror that hangs and swivels on spindles. Stain is dark & two tones. There is a pattern carved into front. Has metal ring handles.
    **Can someone tell me anything about this piece of furniture???**
    How old, how much it may be worth today. It is in original condition, wheels a bit worn over years, excellent condition. There are only a couple fade spots. I bought it 20 years ago at a sale in winnipeg,mb. I have used it for as many years as I have had it.
    **I now have to sell it.**

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HAVE RECENTLY AQUIRRED MY GRANDMOTHERS BROOCH THAT SHE RECEIVED WHEN WORKING AT SIMPSON'S. SHE PASSED AWAY IN 1984, AND HAD BEEN RETIRED FROM SIMPSONS FOR SOME TIME. THE BROOCH IS THE SIGNITURE "SIMPSONS" WHICH IS WRITTEN IN RHINESTONES. I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS A SERVICE PIN OR RETIREMENT PIN. DID ANYONE RECEIVE ONE, WHAT WAS IT FOR, AND DO YOU KNOW AN APPROXIMATE VALUE OF THIS PIN. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked at Simpsons Scarborough Town Centre in the Accounts area for 8 years (payments, refunds, gift certificates etc) from the day it opened. I trained at Cedarbrae in preparation.
    The reason I am commenting today is that I just purchased a georgeous 'Simpsons' Lambs wool coat with fur collar in mint condition at a sales table in support of the United Way. It is a reminder of my past and a treasure. C.Cox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for putting this site together! I can hear the Christmas carols coming through the store speakers as I type... haha.
    I loved the Simpsons logo. I can't seem to find any pictures of their old store bags which were really stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a child my parents & I visited the Toronto Downtown stores of Simpsons & Eaton's and yes 2 great Canadian Company's. Great Memories and wonderful Canadians singing Christmas Carols and happy to be gathering together and looking in the Simpsons windows at the Christmas work shop. I too have 1 song sheet from Simpsons and 2 from Eaton's. Thank you. Mrs.Muise

    ReplyDelete
  15. I worked at the Queen St. store starting in 1968 and took the management course in 1970. From there I was sent to the new Fairview store as asst. manager of dresses, coats and the Room. A year later Sherway was in the works and I was sent in the same depts. for opening. Promoted to Dept. manager of most of the main floor at Yorkdale in 1971.Then asst. buyer in sportswear in the main store. I left in 1974 to start a family. My husband Doug Syer also worked in the Main Queen St. store. Very fond memories of the "family"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just came across your blog, and it brought back many memories! Simpson's Queen Street Store was always my favorite, especially when visiting Toytown on the 4th Floor at Christmas. This store was also used as the backdrop for the popular 80's children's TV Show "Today's Special" and several episodes were filmed there. The Yorkdale store was also pretty spectacular, with the giant spiral staircase leading to the Court Room Restaurant (which is also now gone). It's a shame Simpson's is no longer around. It was a great store. The Bay is just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, I have a Picture framed at Simpson's the stick on back can anyone tell me about what year did Simpson's had a frame shop and what store had them.
    Thank you,
    chefdav2006@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. j'ai travaille chez simpson's les galeries d'anjou a montreal j.ai debute en 1969 dans le rayon des sports``758'j'usquau changement sous le non de la baie ou j'ai continuer a travailer dans le meme edifice j'usqua ma retraite en 2008.je n'oublirai jamais toutle plaisir et le sentiment D'apartenance que nous avions pour lenon SIMPSON'S yves pellerin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I truly miss Simpson's and Eaton's. I remember the last time I was in a Simpson's store, which was the one on St. Catherines St in Montreal, now Simmons. The Bay just doesn't seem to have the charm that Simpson's had.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have two catalogs , one from 1917 and the other from 1924. Does anyone know what they would be worth and where I can find info on them .

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have china marked Thomas Bravaria in green and stamped in red - The Robert Simpson Company Limited Toronto. The border pattern is alternating blue and pale yellow background segments each containing various colored flowers. The center of each plate / saucer is white with a thin gold border .. any idea where I can get more info. on this china ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I still have my Simpson's credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I grew up in London where Simpsons was the big downtown store. The Christmas windows were a destination for all families and we still remember those times. Expanded several times the store had a great 6th floor Arcadian Restaurant that overlooked the market below and the city in the distance. When Eatons arrived in London in 1962 in an enclosed downtown mall, Simpsons met the challenge by enlarging and modernizing the store. Briefly a Bay store, the building now mostly houses offices.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, the memories! When I grew up in the late 50's early 60's Simpson's was the only department store in downtown Regina. Eaton's for some reason was located in the warehouse district to the north of downtown and was rather frumpy. Of many memories, some of my favourites were when they installed automatic elevators and got rid of the elevator operators and better yet when they installed escalators linking all six floors of the Regina store. I remember riding all the way up and then all the way down and maybe repeating it again! Also, the Christmas windows were a popular must-see. We shall never see such grand department store days like those ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you remember the jingle: "You'll enjoy shopping at Simpsons
    With their money-back guarantee?
    Satisfaction in ev'ry way
    And your money refunded cheerfully.
    You'll pay no more at these great stores
    With so much more for you:
    Service! Selection! Value! Satisfaction!
    And free delivery too!
    You'll enjoy shopping at Simpsons
    . . . ."
    and I can't recall the last line in the ad.

    It would be nice if someone had a recording of this and could post it on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had completely forgotten this and as I read the words I could hear the tune. Thanks for that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simpsons entered the Ottawa market by acquisition of Murphy-Gamble in 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have an Etching by B Mac Donald it is Titled Phi Gamma Delta and dated 1929 It was matted and framed by The Robert Simpson Co any one know of this Artist Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello I have an Etching that is titled Phi Gamma delta That was done in 1929 by B Mac Donald. It was matted and framed by The Robert Simpson Company can anyone help me with this piece.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have an unopened package of miniture cars with Simpsons Logo on it and the cars are called Duramites. I cannot find them anywhere else. I would like to know if they are truly collectibles.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Car set Duramite-I will give you 20.00 for the set I am in Toronto
    email coatesleon@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a red fox fur coat from Simpson 3 quater length, excellent conditions the buttons are hooks
    these hooks buttons are no longer being made these crafts mens are no longer around the sleeve inside are leather, if you are interested I am in Toronto email- coatesleon@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a picture that looke like an english cottage on the back it has Robert Simpson co also a number 4-10847
    size is 5" by 8" Does anyone know where I can find information on this picture. I have had it for almost 40 years

    ReplyDelete
  34. My grandmother just gave me her mink coat she bought from Simpsons Fur Gallery many years ago. She paid quite a bit for it back then and it still looks brand new. Outstanding craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's sad how the Bay took a company that never operated at a loss, even during the Depression and ran it into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  36. As a new landed immigrant from Scotland in the 1960's, Simpson's downtown was a store my parents took us to every Christmas, just to look in the windows at the displays. It was such a treat. My aunt and cousin worked there for years, my aunt in Maynard's candy department and that too was a treat for me. Love looking back at this , since my Mum and I used to travel to Acadian court restaurant yearly for Chicken Pot Pie....I can still taste it! thanks for the memories

    ReplyDelete
  37. I worked in Simpsons from 1973 to 1981. I worked in hardware then Simpson Security, I met a lot of nice people who worked at Simpsons. There was one clerk I will always remember Tammy Quinton . She was a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Market Tower was the original home of London’s largest and most successful department store - Simpsons. For most people living in the area in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, a trip to see the Simpsons windows was a necessary part of the Christmas tradition. With new themes every year including “A Little Swiss Christmas,” “A Mouse’s Tale” and “Christmas with the Forest Folks,” windows were painstakingly decorated with whimsical settings and playful characters animated by light, movement and sound.

    http://londonfuse.ca/blog/market-tower-presents-simpsons-christmas

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great blog. I have vivid memories of seeing Santa Claus at the Simpson's in downtown Montreal (I also recall getting lost and scared, but found). I also have fond memories of the Simpson's in Fairview Pointe-Claire. It was fun to go there - so ... Canadian.

    ReplyDelete

Comments