Denholm and McKay Co., Worcester, Massachusetts


1951 facade of Denholms


1960 High Street Entrance to Denholms


Stylized advertising image of Denholms main store in Worcester


Read a fine new book
about Denholms


Denholm and McKay Co.
484 Main Street
Worcester, Massachusetts

753-4721


DENHOLMS STORE DIRECTORY (200,000 sq. ft.)

Lower Level
Housewares • Garden Shop • Fireplace Shop • Clocks • Floor Care

First Floor
Jewelry • Watch Repair • Cosmetics • Handbags • Belts • Gloves • Umbrellas • Hosiery • Handkerchiefs • Millinery • Umbrellas • Blouses • Skirts • Sweaters • Notions • Stationery • Bridge Accessories • Candies • Men's Furnishings • Men's Clothing • Men's Sportswear • Men's Shoes • Men's Hats
Chatham Street
Gourmet Shop • Bakery • Fabrics • White Sewing Center

Mezzanine
Personnel Offices

Second Floor
Bedding • Towels • Pillows • Books • Gift Wrapping • Foundations • Negligees • Sleepwear • Lingerie • Robes • Uniforms
Chatham Street
Girls' Wear • Poise & Ivy Shop • Young Juniors

Third Floor
Sportswear • Dresses • Better Dresses • Salisbury Shop • The Place on 3 • Coats • Suits • Boutique Shops • Gift Boutique • Bridal Salon • Fur Salon • Millinery • Junior Dresses • Junior Sportswear • Junior Coats • Junior High Shop • Fashion Shoes • Capezio Shop • Boys' Clothing • Varsity Shop • Infants' Wear • Infants' Furniture • Children's Shoes
Chatham Street
Toddler's Wear • Girl Scouts • Girls' Wear • Teen Age Shop

Fourth Floor
China • Glassware • Silverware • Gift Shop • Clocks • Artificial Flowers • Furniture • Matresses • Kitchen Furniture
Chatham Street
Toys • bicycles

Fifth Floor
Curtains • Draperies • Decorative Pillows • Upholstery • Interior Decorating • Floor Coverings • Lamps • Pictures • Mirrors • Mirrors • Radios • Televisions • Records • Art and Needlework • Artist's Supplies • Luggage • Cameras • Paints • Cash Office • Credit Office
Chatham Street
Sign Shop

Sixth Floor
Beauty Salon • General Offices
Chatham Street
Advertising Office

BRANCH STORES

Auburn MA (1971)
Auburn Mall 
67,000 sq. ft.

Thanks to Christopher Sawyer, of the Denholm and McKay Web Site for all of the information in this exhibit.  Chris is devoted to the history of this memorable retailer and graciously provided a directory, history, photos, and logos in order to make this exhibit possible.

13 comments:

  1. This is great! I can't thank you enough for highlighting Denholms. Glad to see you up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved shopping at the flagship Worcester Denholms through the 1960's and early 1970's. It was across the street from Filenes and those were the two best stores in the city---My sister and I also bought fabrics there and the selection of fabrics and fancy trimmings was superb.
    We used to enter at the High Street level to get to the clothes faster.
    Although I grew up in Auburn [a suburb] the mall store was not nearly as good as the flagship store.
    Thanks for including this in your profiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great aunt used to work at Denholms in worcester ma and I am looking for there christmas decor they once had. I have lost my aunt back in 2002 and miss her so much and looking to find these things to remember her by. If anyone has any information on where I might be able to find some items that would be amazing. Thank You again and thank you to Denholms for employing the best aunt a girl could have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bak, Thanks for publishing this info. I just purchased a vintage sports coat that someone once bought in the Varsity Shop on the 3rd Floor, circa 1965. Nice to see the provenance.
    Here's a link to an photo of the label.
    http://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/6115525/il_fullxfull.415512868_l7gp.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need help with a picture from the picture galleries ,who can help tell me something about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be able to as I wrote the Denholms book. I will tell you that all records of items from the picture galleries were lost when the store closed.

    Chris
    www.denholms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like some help with a picture from the Picture Galleries that I recently received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also looking for info on a picture done in charcoal from the Denholms picture galleries. It show the lot no. 17569. If by chance you learn anything, please let me know.

      Delete
  8. While working on our three,My husband and I found a .45 cents price tag from Denholm & McKay Co. Also an advertisement nail file. "To smooth Out The Rough Spots Save At Worcester Mechanics Savings"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shopped in Denholms home décor department in the early 1970's and they had some great artwork. I was interested in a vintage black and white painting of a man and women ice skating. I didn't purchase it when I first saw it and when I went back to the store the painting had been sold. If anyone knows of this painting or of someone wanting to sell one of these, I would appreciate feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found 2 Denholm & McKay vinyl record holder books that are in perfect condition. They were found in my attic when cleaning and from the previous owner along with Vinyl Polka records in them.

    I am not sure if they are a collectible for anyone in this forum.

    Anyone have any insight on anyone who would want them?

    I thought it was cool as I work in the building and see the display of the old mall all the time. Maybe I could put one of them in the display?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading this as I shopped long ago, as a child, at Denholm's--sometimes the store interior appears in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a pice of artwork from Carl Reichert that has a Denholm McKay Co. red sticker on the back. I wanted to get the value of this artwork. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated

    ReplyDelete

Comments - Please do not comment more than once. Your comment must be approved before it is posted.