The George W. McAlpin Co., Cincinnati




The series of ancient buildings on Fourth Street housing McAlpin's

The George W. McAlpin Co. (McAlpin’s)
13 W. 4th St.,
Cincinnati, Ohio (1852)



Do you remember 
McAlpin's Restaurants?

Click above to read about a new book
about Cincinnati's great department store
Tea Rooms . . . and contact the author
with your memories of them.


FOURTH STREET STORE DIRECTORY


Lower Level
Housewares • Appliances • Trim-the-Home Shop • Sporting Goods • The Kopper Kettle

Street Floor
Jewelry • Fine Jewelry • Cosmetics • Handbags • Small Leather Goods • Gloves • Rainwear • Hosiery • Scuffs ‘n Socks • Accessories • Blouse Bar • Popular Sportswear • Lingerie • Foundations • Casual Dresses • Cameras • Stationery • Candy • Health & Beauty Aids • Men’s Furnishings • Men’s Shoes • Men’s Clothing • Young Men’s Shop

Second Floor
Infants’ Wear • Toddlers’ Wear • Girls’ Wear • Boys’ Wear • Children’s Shoes • Children’s Accessories • Hats • Wig Boutique • Maternity Shop • Fashion Fabrics • Art-Needlework • Linens • Bath Shop

Third Floor
Sportswear • Dresses • Half-Size Dresses • Large-Size Sportswear • Coat Salon • Fur Salon • Contemporary Sportswear • Better Dresses • Better Sportswear • Designer Dresses • Designer Sportswear • Sophisticate Shop • Young Juniors • Junior Sportswear • Junior Dresses • Loungewear • Body fashions

Fourth Floor
Rugs • Furniture • Draperies • Pictures

Fifth Floor
China • Silver • Glassware • Gifts • Lamps • Luggage • TVs/Stereo • Luggage

Sixth Floor
The Tea Room • Men’s Grill


BRANCH STORES

Western Hills (1954)
102,000 sq. ft.
The Kopper Kettle

Kenwood Plaza (1956)
240,000 sq. ft.
The Kopper Kettle







Cherry Grove Plaza (1967)
The Kopper Kettle

Turfland, Lexington KY (1967)
168,000 sq. ft.
The Kopper Kettle

Lexington Mall (1971)
Lexington KY
The Kopper Kettle

Northgate Mall (1972)
175,000 sq. ft.
The Kopper Kettle

Towne Mall (1975) 
The Kopper Kettle









20 comments:

  1. There was an additional branch in Lexington, KY at the Fayette Mall in the early-to-mid 1990s (around 1992-93) which became the anchor of the store's new wing (which now had customers walking through the middle of Sears, which was now in the 'middle' of the expanded mall.

    The store converted to a Dillard's a few years later along with all the rest of the McAlpin's stores, is still going strong today and is now the ONLY of the three Lexington locations to remain in business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo above is actually of McAlpin's Western Hills Plaza location. The location I grew up going to. It closed in July 1998 and moved down the street to the old Shillito's/Lazarus location. That location still operates today as a Dillard's. The building shown above has operated as a full line Sears store for about 10 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of all the DS, I miss McAlpins the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had a good food court always with the Orange Julius'! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finest Department Store in Cincinnati- Greatest place to work- Employees were real Family. Always treated Patrons with respect, unlike the ones who replaced it. It will never happen again! So Sad!!!! Proud of my 27 year association. MFC

    ReplyDelete
  6. And who can ever forget the ultimate sale that everyone planned for all year. Moonlight Madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was the store brand of women's clothing? I know that the men's was Royal Knight. Loved Moonlight Madness... twice a year... used to buy all my kids clothes for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born in Cincinnati and was always raised by my Cincinnati parents to believe that McAlpin's department store was the greatest that the area had to offer. We shopped in the other big stores (Pogue's and Shilito's are two names that immediately come to mind), but we did most of our buying at McAlpin's. I know for an absolute fact that my mother still has boxes and bags and other assorted items bearing the McAlpin's label.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was also a location in Northern Kentucky, where the Crestview Hills Towne Center is now. I am not sure when it was established, but I remember going there all the time. I used to go there all the time growing up in the late 80's and the 90's, some great memories shopping with my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I miss going to McAlpin's at Turfland Mall in Lexington with my Mom. She is gone now and so is McAlpin's. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. The women's brands were Merville and First Lady. I have a book published by Mercantile Stores (the parent company) in 1975 that was given to new employees so that they would know the history behind the company and the stores they owned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to find a clip or picture or anything really of some of the old McAlpin's commercials for my friend, Greg, that used to be their model in the mid and late 80s. Does anyone have any ideas of where to start?? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. McAlpin's Jewelry Dept. sold a gold cutout monogrammed necklace charm. Me and my sister had one. My sister has misplaced hers. Where could I find one or who was the manufacturer of these? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To the person looking for photos of her model friend - I would suggest the Cincinnati Public Library. Go the the periodicals desk and ask to see archives of the Sunday Enquirer from that era. The paper always ran large ads from the department stores, usually in the first section, but sometimes in the local news or "arts" sections. If he was a child model, I would suggest looking after Thanksgiving, or between Lent and Easter, as you would have expanded children's clothing sections then. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cherry Grove opened before 1967. I worked there part-time in 1961

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first 'real' job was in the gift wrapping department at Kenwood McAlpin's. I was told that my packages were the nicest they had ever seen, however, I took too much time, so they moved me to another department. I still use the manger set for Christmas that I bought with my McAlpin's discount. I worked there part time while in high school and in college. Wish department stores were the same as they were back then.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was born in Cincinnati and grew up in Cincinnati. I miss all the department stores that are gone now. Remember the pickle chips at The Kopper Kettle? They were so good!!! I miss those pickle chips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Prior to 1975 McAlpin's was in the Middletown Shopping Center in Middletown, OH.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who founded the McAlpin Store?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am trying to locate a McAlpin's Middletown employee, 1966, the store manager's daughter,
    Bev Parsley. Can anyone assist? THANKS. craigmarshallsmith@comcast.net.

    ReplyDelete

Comments