Myers Brothers, Springfield, Illinois





"The Store that Quality Built"


Myers Brothers
Fifth Street at Washington
Springfield, Illinois

LAkeside 3-3661



Lower Level
Myers Brothers Budget Floor
Lower Level West
Sports Pro Shop • Toys

Street Floor
Fine Jewelry • Costume Jewelry • Handbags • Small Leather Goods • Gloves • Hosiery • Hat Bar • Accessory Carousel • Blouses • Street Floor Sportswear • Cosmetics • Women's Shoes • Shoe Salon
Men's Shop
Men's Furnishings • Men's Shoes
Street Floor West
Carriage Shop • Stationery • Luggage • Fabrics • Handicrafts • Linen Shop • Bath and Closet Shop • Home Furnishings • Gift Shop • Lamps • Pictures • Marble Shop • The Studio • Clocks • China
4th Street Alley
Books • Candy • Monsieur Gourmet Shop • Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Shop • The CafĂ© • Wine and Liquor Shop • Flower Shop

Balcony
Portrait Studio • Yuletide Shop • Dairy Rose Restaurant • Credit Service

Second Floor
Men's Sportswear • Men's Clothing • Men's Outerwear • Executive Suite • Golden Key Shop • London West 1 • Boys' Shop • Young Men's Shop • Brass Lock
Second Floor West
Furniture Galleries • Carpet 

Third Floor of Fashion
Dresses • Couturier Dresses • Half-Size Shop • Coats • Suits • Raincoats • Miss Myers Shop • Chatfield Room • Bridal Salon • Fur Salon • Millinery • Personnel
Third Floor West
Sportswear • Travel Headquarters

Fourth Floor
Lingerie • Foundations • At Home Wear • Daytime Shop • Beauty Salon • Hair '70s
Children's World
Infants' and Toddlers' Shop • Girls' Shop • Children's Shoes • Maternity Shop • The Place


White Oaks
Springfield, Il
August 5, 1977
100,000 s.f.
Dairy Rose Restaurant
Coming in due course.


12 comments:

  1. I worked here for three years in the 1970s and thoroughly enjoyed the amazing architecture of the structure. Being a floater cashier, I worked in many departments within the store. When I worked in the Bridal Registry, I was amazed at the levels below the basement where the china/stemware was kept for each bride in sawdust bins. There was also a mezzanine for shoppers to enjoy lunch while overlooking the first floor selling level. Amazing building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember name of restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this store--every time we visited our family in town we went shopping at Myers. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just acquired a 1970s xmas tree set w/ Classic Bavarian ornaments, Clear "Merry Midget" decorative lights, Musical rotating stand - Plays Silent Night and Ol come all Ye Faithful. MODEL CT-2. Bought from Myers Brothers, Springfield Illinois, Fifth and Washington. Still in original boxes and original shipping box, delivery tag still on. can anyone help me figure out what it was sold for back then? Please E=Mail me at Gmchristensen74@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear BAK, there is a short history of Myers of Springfield in this online article: http://sangamoncountyhistory.org/wp/?p=1631

    The store you show in the image is their second store. The first one had fewer levels, was built 1900-01, and opened March 1901 with a grand opening on April 6th. The building you show in the image was built in 1926. I have images of the Myers store I can email you. When you can, let me know your email address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can reach me at bakgraphics@comcast.net and I check that email address frequently.
    Thank you - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. BAK - over at the Crossword Corner (https://crosswordcorner.blogspot.com/ 5/21/18) we were discussing department stores (Mens was the answer for Macy's department). My post included:

    The department store of my ute was Myers Brothers [with a link to here] - it was also an official BSA store so, in addition to Catholic uniforms, I got my sash & Merit Badges to sew on it there too.

    My story is from the '70s when I lived in SPI as a wee lad living on N. 3rd. IIRC, Mom worked there at one point and Pop was just down the block at Thrifty Drugs.

    Thanks for helping keep these stores' memories alive. -T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind comment and the crossword connection. I hope what I have been able to post have stirred nostalgic feelings in you - I plan to have a history article written at some point, but this is a labor of love and takes a long time to accomplish. I was not a boy scout but certainly did also wear a Catholic uniform in my "ute."
    - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandfather's girlfriend was a buyer for Myers Brothers. Her name was Dell DePas, and she passed away when I was pretty small... late 60s, I think. I remember impressions of her more than I remember her in any concrete sense. But I recall that I thought she was beautiful, and soft, and she seemed very "big city fancy" to me. It's a lovely memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. super place to work 1957s paul draper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myers Bros. purchased Linn & Scruggs in Decatur, Illinois in the early '70s, and operated a Decatur store until 1979, when new owner P.A. Bergner & Co. opened a branch at Hickory Point Mall. Linn & Scruggs had branches in South Shores (Decatur) and Mattoon, Il.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myers Bros. also operated a store in Lincoln, Illinois. My mother was the office manager at that location for many years while I was growing up and I was employed there as the store janitor for a couple years during high school.

      Delete

Comments - Please do not comment more than once. Your comment must be approved before it is posted.